[clug] Networking problem in Ubuntu Feisty

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 23:27:02 GMT 2007

On 10/9/07, Steve Walsh <Steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

> SIOCSIFFLAG usually indicates a hardware conflict with your ethernet
> controller. Run "ifconfig -a" and check the IRQ and I/O addresses used
> by the controller. Also, look at the contents of the files
> /proc/interrupts and /proc/pci to determine what IRQ and I/O addresses
> are in use on your system. Many ethernet and SCSI drivers cannot share
> interrupts under Linux. Your system most likely has an IRQ conflict.

Thanks Steve. I'll try that when I get home. I do wonder why it works under
bootable CDs like Gutsy though. I'd have thought an interrupt conflict
wouldn't care what OS was sitting on top.

You can also try pinning which eth card gets which assignemnt by editing
> /etc/iftab and putting in;
>
> eth0 mac <mac address> arp 1
> eth1 mac <mac address> arp 1
> etc

Thanks, I'll take a look, though perhaps the swapped assignments is a red
herring.

--
MC