[clug] October CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Mon Oct 8 22:00:02 GMT 2007

	CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group Meeting - 11th October 2007

Date:		11th October 2007 (Second Thursday of the month)

Time:		18:30 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Speaker:	Daniel Black and Ian Muntie

Abstract:	Autoconf/Automake are a collection of helper software
		that allows software to be written portably. It also
		allows people to follow a standard ./configure;  make ;
		make install dance to install software regardless of
		platform. Daniel will be taking you through setting up a
		basic autoconf setup. Bring your laptop as this will be
		a hands on session. Feel free to team up.

		Ian I am going to demonstrate how he created a simple
		daemon in C using the DBus support in GLib that listens
		to the system bus and sets the colour and intensity of
		several LEDs on my laptop through libsmbios. He will
		show how to connect to it and control it through shell
		scripts, python and of course a libvisual plugin
		(written in C) that allows the lights to dance to the
		music playing in Amarok. I will also demo some of the
		possibilities of scripting existing applications with
		DBus.

Venue:		Canberra City Pancake Parlour

		Find platform 4 in the City Interchange (see map below)
		and then look for the Pancake Parlour sandwich board.
		At the bottom of the stairs, look for the PSIG sign on
		the counter and a stuffed penguin in the indicated
		direction.

		http://tinyurl.com/dyexl

Food/drink:	The Pancake Parlour has a large variety of food and
		drink available, so bring some cash and grab a bite
		to eat or drink.

If you would like to give a talk at a future meeting, please email me.