[clug] Linux in education

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Thu Oct 4 00:32:21 GMT 2007

I needed to download a document from my child's school the other week.
It was only available as a Word document and, While O.O.o could open it,
it didn't format properly.

I wrote to the school, politely asking them whether they could use an
accessible format or, at worst, PDF, explaining that of all the formats
available, Word was the lest accessible, and why.

I got a very nice reply from the teacher concerned, telling me that when
he arrived it had been school policy to put documents on the web in PDF
format, but that the school board had directed them to use Word because
- I'm not making this up - it was more accessible.

He offered to do what he could.

This is a classic and extremely depressing example of what we're dealing
with.

Fred