[clug] Linux in education

Sakari Mattila smattila at tpg.com.au
Wed Oct 3 10:28:40 GMT 2007

The trick is, that Windows comes next to free for universities
and university staff, but not students.  I know four such contracts
in two well-separated countries, Australia and Finland. The applications
and SDKs have a small price. It is difficult to compete with almost
free and "management seminars" with free and no seminars. It is
a long story to explain, what is a "management seminar" without
getting involved the legal profession, hope somebody else does that.

There is still hope, Vista and multicore hardware may start people
to think again.  What Linux people could do is to keep up-to-date
compatibility list and make ready to run  Linux / GNU / OpenOffice
packages. Easy to install, fast and reliable Linux for laptops would be
a success. "Installing updates" only once a week, not all the time
like Vista. Running more than a month without hickups, like Unix
boxes used to do. My friends good brand laptop spends more time
"Installing updates" and restarting than doing anything useful.

Sakari Mattila
smattila @ tpg.com.au
- - -