[clug] Linux in education

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 3 09:52:46 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 18:06 +1000, Tim Jones wrote:
> 2007/10/3, Hugh Fisher <hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au>:
>

> But if you converted all the machines, you would have a similar
> situation to now, where everybody only learns one OS (and worse, it
> wouldn't be the most common one in the general workforce).

> 2) Students will be more computer literate if they use more than one
> operating system at school.

I reckon a good (from the point of view of education) way for the
schools to manage would be to have the classroom machines installed from
a network server each night (or each lesson if its fast enough!).  Like
Linux's systemimager but allowing multiple operating systems for the
images.

Then each time a random image could be selected, so the students have to
see a different OS each time.  I think they'd call it fun.

Drew