[clug] Linux in education

Ben Chaplin wombat at chapmac.com
Wed Oct 3 08:04:19 GMT 2007

On 3 Oct 2007, at 17:48PM, Mike Carden wrote:

> On 10/3/07, Ben Chaplin <wombat at chapmac.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm currently in first year at the ANU (hi Bob!) and on the computing
>> forums there are quite a few people suggesting we should be running
>> Windows in the IT labs because they feel uncomfortable with Linux and
>> think Windows would be faster and easier.
>
> They what? I hope that's just the grumblings of the few and not a
> serious proposal. If my application to start an undergraduate degree
> at ANU DCS next year is successful, I'll certainly be hoping that
> Linux continues to have a home there.
>
> I can't imagine that the current staff would like to see a change to
> Windows, but maybe that's because the only staff I meet are the pro
> Linux (or MacOS) people.

Well the response from most of us on the forum indicated that it's
definitely a minority who want Windows.  I think I'd sooner switch
degrees than tolerate Windows there, and something gives me the
feeling that the staff are on the same side as I am.  Do not worry,
people, it's clearly not going to happen, but it illustrates my point
about the need for people to be exposed to other OSs during high
school/college.