[clug] Linux in education

Ben Chaplin wombat at chapmac.com
Wed Oct 3 05:46:09 GMT 2007

On 3 Oct 2007, at 13:46PM, Robert Edwards wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett (who may be lurking on the list somewhere) set up
> some Samba and Linux stuff at Hawker College many years ago and kept
> on as a sort of consultant for several years after he left.
True.

> Don't know if the Samba server is still running there
Nope.

> - the head teacher is/was Dave Day.
Still is.

Sorry to report that the only linux remaining at Hawker is a backup
server with last year's stuff on it.  The backup LDAP server is now
my home router...  I worked with Andrew on the old linux network at
Hawker but to comply with the government standards Hawker switched to
the standard generic Windows set up.  I personally feel that it was
an unfortunate decision.  We have gained little from the switch and
lost rather a lot of functionality.  But that's just my opinion.

I think the biggest motivating factor in using Windows in schools is
the perception, whether true or not, that "pretty much everyone" in
the corporate and home environments uses Windows and there's no point
teaching kids anything else.  I agree that "pretty much everyone"
uses Windows but I feel that it's a very valuable thing for people to
use more than one platform in their life.  Particularly in a college
environment where kids are supposed to really be learning, they
really should be exposed to other alternatives.  I feel that someone
graduating with the basic ITC competencies needs to have used
Windows, a Mac, and Linux.  It's not hard!

I'm currently in first year at the ANU (hi Bob!) and on the computing
forums there are quite a few people suggesting we should be running
Windows in the IT labs because they feel uncomfortable with Linux and
think Windows would be faster and easier.  Windows in the programming
labs... WTF?!  I can't help feeling that if some of these people had
been using Linux earlier it might be easier to make the adjustment.
Or they might at least recognise that you won't always get what you
want on someone else's computers.

Then there are all the ethical and monetary advantages of running  an
open source primary platform but if I get started on those we might
be here for a while...