[clug] Linux in education

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 3 01:05:07 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 08:44 +1000, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> As I drove in to work today I was musing about what kind of penetration
> Linux might have in ACT classrooms.
>
> In a previous life I worked in ACT Education and in those days it was
> half Apple, half MS. These days I suspect Apple would be a rarity and
> Linux is probably nonexistant. My eldest graduated from Dickson College
> last year and my youngest is at Lyneham High. They use Linux at home of
> course, but never saw or heard of it at school. If my suspicions are
> correct, what an incredible waste of resources must be going on, not
> just in the cost of buying software but also in supporting it and
> keeping it running and relatively secure; how much valuable teacher time
> and money could be saved, and how much more creative could the kids be,
> if they moved to a FOSS environment?
>
> Fred

A friend of who recently finished college, while he was still a student
there he had a small job helping with the IT admin at Melba High (his
college was the one next door, I forget its name).  He's something of a
Linux enthusiast himself (perhaps dilettante is more correct). I can't
remember if he said they had some Linux installations at Melba, but I
suspect they did.

Drew