[clug] Linux in education

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Tue Oct 2 22:44:35 GMT 2007

As I drove in to work today I was musing about what kind of penetration
Linux might have in ACT classrooms.

In a previous life I worked in ACT Education and in those days it was
half Apple, half MS. These days I suspect Apple would be a rarity and
Linux is probably nonexistant. My eldest graduated from Dickson College
last year and my youngest is at Lyneham High. They use Linux at home of
course, but never saw or heard of it at school. If my suspicions are
correct, what an incredible waste of resources must be going on, not
just in the cost of buying software but also in supporting it and
keeping it running and relatively secure; how much valuable teacher time
and money could be saved, and how much more creative could the kids be,
if they moved to a FOSS environment?

Fred