[clug] Ubuntu Gutsy Beta

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 10:29:52 GMT 2007

On 10/2/07, Ian Bardsley <ifb777 at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> FYI, in a fit of curiosity, I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Beta
> the other evening and installed it on my "el Cheapo" AMD Sempron powered
> Notebook.
>
> This Distro installed in 20 minutes and for the first time recognised
> all aspects of the system without any interference from me.  Previous
> Ubuntu installs required me to edit xorg.conf to get the wide screen
> display working amd also to use ndiswrapper to get the DLINK PCMCIA
> wireless thingi working.  All I had to do with Gutsy to make it a
> workable system was activate printer sharing.

Ditto for me.

Although it still had a bit of trouble with accelerated video my ATI
Radeon Mobility inflicted T42 (never again I say! :). Still on the
whole very slick.

I was most interested if only because of the new Xorg graphical video
setup stuff. Sure I have a working xorg.conf now, but point and click
just seems like more fun than linking in a different xorg.conf
dependant on whether I am home (T42 + docking station + external 21"
LCD on DVI + external 19" on VGA via twinview) or on the road (T42
with 15" widescreen LCD).

Here's hoping the final release fixes even more problems.  I am most
keen to update my PXE FAI Ubuntu installer setup to gutsy for
automated installs here at work.  I have no idea in which way Ubuntu
are headed for automated roll outs but they seem at least to have
decided on ebox for server admin.  A "reasonable" choice IMHO given
that cfengine2 whilst powerful is not the best in the hands on a
novice! :)