[clug] Ubuntu Gutsy Beta

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 2 10:20:03 GMT 2007

Hi List

FYI, in a fit of curiosity, I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Beta
the other evening and installed it on my "el Cheapo" AMD Sempron powered
Notebook.

This Distro installed in 20 minutes and for the first time recognised
all aspects of the system without any interference from me.  Previous
Ubuntu installs required me to edit xorg.conf to get the wide screen
display working amd also to use ndiswrapper to get the DLINK PCMCIA
wireless thingi working.  All I had to do with Gutsy to make it a
workable system was activate printer sharing.  Yet another step forward
for Desktop Linux in the hands of a novice.

The whole thing seems pretty stable although I only use this device for
quoting so it dosn't get worked very hard but I plan just to leave the
Beta on it and use it in the real world and see what happens.

If anyone out there would like a copy, let me know and i'll get a copy
to you

Have a great week

Ian Bardsley