[clug] Linux on new school computers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 22:48:17 GMT 2007

Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion so far - lots
of good stuff, nothing much Aussie yet (except moodle and samba).

Given that Kate Lundy has not made it to the front bench, and that
Julia Gillard is the new Education minister, I am not sure whether
Kate will be successful in getting Kevin over for a talk/demo or not,
but I am not as optimistic. Maybe Tridge will still be successful in
getting her in for a talk about FOSS, though.

Not sure why so many suggestions came in for google-ware: google earth,
google sketchup, google maps etc. Am I missing something here? We are
trying to show what Linux/FOSS can do on a laptop/desktop/thin-client,
not promote US-centric culturally-imperialistic web-ware that can run
just as well on Windoze, MacOS, or any other O/S with a reasonably
standards compliant web-client, or are we? Surely the educators are
already well aware of these sites/apps. Why are people including
google-ware in this list of FOSS? I'm confused.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.