[clug] Linux on new school computers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Nov 29 05:40:36 GMT 2007

 > Added. Keep it coming. I'll take submissions until midday tomorrow
 > (20071130T1200) and try to post a rough list by 1300 for review.

For high school students we can look at more advanced
applications. For example, Blender is a great example of a really
advanced tool suitable for someone studying graphic art and probably
for architecture/design too. It could be used for year 11/12 students.

In a similar way, gimp is a great tool for people studying
photography, and google earth would be a magnificent tool for
geography classes.

For people studying computing using a system with full source code is
ideal, especailly when combined with virtual machines for testing. I
know not many high schools students are at that level, but some of the
better ones should be. For others, languages like python are ideal for
learning the basics of computer programming.

Using vnc (and x11vnc) opens up some great opportunites for
teacher-class interaction (showing students work on a projector).

Cheers, Tridge