[clug] Linux on new school computers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu Nov 29 02:02:51 GMT 2007

Robert Edwards wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks, I got moodle (and Samba), but I am looking for an app that
> runs on a laptop for teaching some secondary-level concepts like math
> or science etc. that is FOSS and preferably Australian.
>
> I guess there aren't any around (yet), but there could be...
> Maybe an Aussie geo-political game of some sort? Some sort of
> climate-modelling simulation for high-school students? Sex-ed?
>
> Oh well, if it all actually comes about, I guess I'll just show that
> Linux can display a web-page as good as the rest and that OpenOffice
> can do the job.

While I'm sure you don't need any help on the presentation. I thought
I'd draw up a list of every discipline that I could think of and start
adding applications to have something ready to demo in every possible
field, plus the general stuff like open office,

English

Foreign Languages
  eg parley http://edu.kde.org/parley/

Mathematics