[clug] /etc/network/interfaces

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:15:37 GMT 2007

> Hey! That sounds familiar.  We use FAI to install our clusters.
>
> # generated by FAI
> auto lo eth0
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet static
>
> I'm pretty sure this is taken care of in fai/scripts/NETWORK/S40; do your
> installs currently have DHCPC as a class for your machines?  Try taking
> them out of that class?

Yup, (Well in the new FAI it is FAIBASE/30-interface but thats hair
splitting). In my case though either I install the machines via a
custom FEISTY class that pretty much does the same thing as poking in
a CD and pressing ok a bunch of times or I get a machine that someone
else has already installed. (be it gentoo, etc etc).

So I do the bare minimum possible with FAI (install, copy root SSH key
etc). and then do most of the config from there with cfengine
(including passwords! :)

Thus I need something that can work with a cfengine script type thing.
:(  Thus my resorting to shell scripts that are called as part of a
shellcommands: stanza in cfagent.conf (after a ReplaceMatching line
that finds dhcp entries in /etc/network/interfaces and "deals" with
them).  Seems to work now.

We shall see tomorrow when the DHCP leases run out though if anything went awry!