[clug] Linux on new school computers

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Tue Nov 27 03:03:01 GMT 2007

It probably seems, but isn't, ironic that I think the whole
computers-in-schools thing is at best a distraction and at worst a
crock.

In another forum I said:

* * *

Education, at its best:

* teaches people the basic skills they need to educate themselves -
reading, writing, hard sums;

* provides access to the resources they need to educate themselves. In
the past that was, and still is to a degree, access to libraries and the
ability to use them, though now it would have to include access to
electronic resources. Both require the ability to distinguish truth from
b/s;

* exposes them to the broad scope of human experience - history,
geography, science, the arts, philosophy (including religion though not
indoctrination).

That's probably enough. Most people, given those things and a relatively
supportive society, will have enough to do whatever they want or are
capable of.

* * *

I believe that if the money that's spent on computers was spent on
teachers we'd come out well on top. And there's as much chance of that
happening as there is of John Howard being our next Prime Minister.

Whoops - getting off-topic. ;-)

Fred