[clug] Testing RTSP Streams

Paul Warren paul.warren at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 13 05:16:02 GMT 2007

George Bray wrote:
> Hello Cluggers,
>
> The ACT Govt today started live streaming of parliament.
>
>    http://www.parliament.act.gov.au/live/
>
> The stream is available in two sizes to the public as RTSP H.264
> (250Kbps and 700Kbps).  Internally on the ACTGOV intranet, it's
> running as H.264 on RTP multicast.
>
> We're using QuickTime (v7) on the dekstop machines thoughout the
> Government to receive the broadcast, users just hit a web page link.
> This works well for Windows and Mac clients - the stream opens in
> QuickTime Player.
>
> However as QuickTime is not officially available for Linux, I wanted
> to get some feedback on using VLC.
>
> The direct RTSP links are:
>
>    rtsp://dmzosx001.dpa.act.gov.au/medium
>
>    rtsp://dmzosx001.dpa.act.gov.au/big
>
> I'm not sure if there's a standard way to tell a linux machine what to
> do with rtsp:// links. Ideally, the browser should give the link to
> VLC and start playing.  What happens in your setup?
>
> George

On ubuntu 7.10, using Thunderbird, the links gave a prompt, asking which
application should be used to open the link,  letting it go with the
default of Totem works fine!

The stream is showing Ms Gallagher talking about beds in hospitals and
things at the moment.

--
Paul Warren
ANUSF Data Intensive Projects