[clug] how to configure a second keyboard

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Nov 11 06:52:47 GMT 2007

I did not find a proper document for this, so if you know of one then
please just point me at it.

I have this ir remote which attaches via USB and is recognised as a keyboard.
	usb 7-3.1.3: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 17
	usb 7-3.1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
	input: Cyp Se WitheHome as /class/input/input108
	input: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [Cyp Se WitheHome] on usb-0000:00:1d.7-3.1.3

Plugging it in makes keypresses show up as characters, same as the main
keyboard keypresses.

Problem is the keys on it are different than a proper keyboard (naturally)
so I want to attach different meaning to some (24 out of 40) of the keys.

I played with showkey and can see that keycodes and scancodes are essentially
the same thing, they refer to a physical key on the device and report press
and release events. What I will prefer to do is remap the keys on this remote
to the usual keys on my keyboard, rather than assign meanings to all the keys.

How to I tell linux that one keyboard has a different keymap? I do not even
know how to call the keyboard because the /dev/input/{mouseX,eventX} change
based on the order of plugging devices in.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)