[clug] Re. Ubuntu

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 9 04:30:13 GMT 2007

Rick,

I am clearing my e-mails and saw your post. Probably someone else has
answered this already but here goes.

There is probably nothing wrong with your CD. The problem as I
understand is with Ubuntu's implementation of TCP/IP (they are using IP
6 I think) and during the install the installer is looking for security
updates and simply gets stuck.

The answer is to install Gutsy with no network connection enabled. The
install will stop at the 76% point and a dialog will prompt for a
connection, just cancel it and proceed with the install.

After install you can then connect to servers for updates as normal.

By the way, if you are an Internode customer you can easily select their
repositories and all downloads from there are not metered - very nice
thank you Mr Internode.

I have installed both my PCs with the above technique and both work
fine. Gutsy, on the other hand is no where as robust as &.04 and
previous versions. There seems to have been a lack of quality control
with this version. In hind sight, I would have left 7.04 in place and
waited for 8.04 LTS ext year.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E: peter.anderson at internode.on.net
W: http://www.users.on.net/~peter.anderson/
<http://www.users.on.net/%7Epeter.anderson/>
P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M: +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6