[clug] LVM recovery -- Canberra LUG a last resort!

Mark Triggs mst at dishevelled.net
Sun Nov 4 06:17:09 GMT 2007

Daniel Rose <drose at nla.gov.au> writes:

> All I think I've altered on disk are these bytes near the beginning of
> the partition.
>
> [...binary...]LABELONE  [...binary...]  LVM2
> 0016oVVgdWIVKqB0yPXk2Acu5ZxcIgMj5JD [...binary...]
>
> By doing
> pvcreate -u 6oVVgd-WIVK-qB0y-PXk2-Acu5-ZxcI-gMj5JD /dev/hdd2
> Software RAID md superblock detected on /dev/hdd2. Wipe it? [y/n] n
> Physical volume “/dev/hdd2″ successfully created
>
> As suggested by someone somewhere on the Internet.

[...]

> So... I'm not sure what's going on.  Further along the disk can be found
> text files detailing the construction, first with seqno1, 2 and finally
> this (edited) promise of potential success:
>
> main {

[...]

> # Generated by LVM2: Tue Nov 21 18:40:21 2006
>

> It seems to me that given this information, it should not be
> particularly difficult to do this.

This article:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8874

describes restoring the LVM metadata using the stored information from
the beginning of the raw disk.  A half-baked test with a USB device here
seemed to work, but don't blame me if you lose your data ;o)

Mark

--
Mark Triggs
<mst at dishevelled.net>