[clug] Managing NAS units?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Nov 2 03:10:28 GMT 2007

Bob,

 > Suitable clustered filesystems include GFS (have played with) or
 > Lustre (now owned by Sun, I believe) as well as IBMs GPFS or Suns
 > ZFS (SGI have one as well - can't remember the name).

yep. For high scalability this is the way to go. I am involved in a
setup of a 3 node RHEL5 cluster running Samba and CTDB (see
ctdb.samba.org) at the moment. We get sustained throughput of over
1GByte/s reading and over 600MByte/s writing with quite a small SAN
(just 21 sets of disks). This is exported via CIFS and NFS over a pile
of gigabit cards.

We're using GPFS, but it should be possible to get this sort of setup
going with either GFS or Lustre.

Cheers, Tridge