[clug] Starting k/ubuntu - Debian

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Mon May 14 02:09:48 GMT 2007

Algis Kabaila wrote:
> Thank you, Nick.  My impatience won and I now downloaded a copy of
> ubuntu-7.04-alternate-amd64.iso.
>
> Very kind of you to respond and offer to share,

BTW, my usual solution to having downloaded an entire ISO of something
but it not checksumming is to find a Torrent of the same ISO, start the
BitTorrent download, then stop it and put your file in the place of the
(initially blank) ISO.  Then restart the download and BitTorrent will
checksum each block and only download those that are incorrect, which
will usually be only a couple if your download has been mostly correct.
Of course, Obiwan errors, CR/LF translation problems and other
image-wide artifacts will mean you download the entire file again.  But
at least you get checksumming for free.  Azureus (the Java BT client)
allows you to load a new torrent and specify an existing file, even.

Have fun,

Paul