[clug] Starting k/ubuntu - Debian

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sun May 13 07:04:15 GMT 2007

On Sunday 13 May 2007 15:57, Chris Smart wrote:
> Algis Kabaila wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >>  > sudo apt-get install openssh-server
> >>
> >> should fix that up.
> >
> > Thank you. That did it!
>
> Don't forget if you want a gui application installer you can use
> 'synaptic' or the 'Add / Remove Programs' from the menus.
>
> If you are going to use the command line, Al, then this should help to
> find things:
> apt-cache search [application name]

I should have know, but I did not know. (If I did, I forgot. That's why I do
run a home wiki for notes from me to me).  It is a useful command and should
quickly tell me what is available.

Like most people, I do like GUI, but for learning CLI is more useful, because
the commands are easily transmittable to such nice knowledgeable people as
the CLUG members.

The "alternate"  (Ha, the Americanisms... In English that should
be "alternative", IMHO) version of ubuntu is being burned onto a CD, so I
should be able to play with your "how to", Chris.

> Just in case you didn't know and couldn't find the actual name for a
> package.
>
> -c

All the bes,
OldAl.