[clug] Secure Erase of disks/drives

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed May 9 04:34:16 GMT 2007

On 09/05/2007, at 13:57 , Hugh Fisher wrote:

> 7 passes was going to take over 8 hours, and 35 passes
> the best part of 2 days, so I opted for the 1 pass
> which just finished in a little over an hour. That's
> for a 60G disk, not huge by todays standards.

http://driveslag.eecue.com/

Backyard drive destruction. No indication of the time it took to melt
the drive down though. No Thermite involved, so you can do it at home
without worrying about the MiB paying too much attention to you.

Main benefit: you don't run the risk of depleting your system's
entropy pool.

Main drawback: can't sell the drive second-hand on eBay for anything
approaching its replacement value.

Alex