[clug] Secure Erase of disks/drives

Robert robert at apex.net.au
Tue May 8 06:45:25 GMT 2007

 From that same paper

Looking at this from the other point of view, with the ever-increasing
data density on disk platters and a corresponding reduction in feature
size and use of exotic techniques to record data on the medium, it's
unlikely that anything can be recovered from any recent drive except
perhaps one or two levels via basic error-cancelling techniques. In
particular the the drives in use at the time that this paper was
originally written have mostly fallen out of use, so the methods that
applied specifically to the older, lower-density technology don't apply
any more. Conversely, with modern high-density drives, even if you've
got 10KB of sensitive data on a drive and can't erase it with 100%
certainty, the chances of an adversary being able to find the erased
traces of that 10KB in 80GB of other erased traces are close to zero.

That was written 10 years ago. And the features sizes used on modern
disks have gone down by an order of magnitude or two since then.
I'm not convinced that there is any credible risk here.

--
Robert
If the Hunter S Thomson quote "When the going gets weird, the weird turn