[clug] Secure Erase of disks/drives

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue May 8 02:56:58 GMT 2007

On 07/05/2007, at 17:49 , Brett Worth wrote:

> I tried this once.  I didn't realise how slow /dev/random was
> before that.

Hmm... I wonder if I really meant /dev/urandom? I think urandom
resorts to pseudo-random numbers after the entropy pool is exhausted,
where /dev/random gives you random numbers only while there are bits
left in the entropy pool.

Or... just cat an MPEG movie to the disk?  Compressed junk is
probably "random" enough unless someone knows exactly which movie
file you used, and then uses that to guide their interpretation of
the output from the scanning magnetic force microscope...

Alex