[clug] Re: Ubuntu 7.04

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Tue May 1 23:08:20 GMT 2007

It appears that bootloaders Isolinux & GRUB work for booting from flash
devices  System Rescue CD uses the former and IPCop the latter.

IPCop have a script, mkflash, which is run with the CF card plugged into a
reader in a conventional desktop system.  It contains the high level commands
to set up GRUB on the CF device so that it will boot when it is transferred
to the embeded mobo.  You could probably modify this script for Feisty.

"info grub" provides a good description of how GRUB works although it no
longer documents the bytes used in the MBR.  If you do need to go
hex-editing, that detail is said to be in the source code for GRUB.

HTH,

Rod