[clug] PC Forensics / Fun

David Collett davec at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 29 12:06:49 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 08:51:17PM +1000, Mike Carden wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Matt Smith <Matt at coolchilli.com> wrote:
>
> >I assume that prior to being released, either the govt's IT departments
> >or DOLA would run some HDD cleaning programs over them, but I wonder
> >"just how good" they are.
>

> You appear to have mixed up 'would' and 'should'.
>
> I'll be *very*surprised if there isn't some trivially readable data there.

Maby, I'd be interested to know. It is very easy to find bootable CD's
and floppies (linux naturally!) these days to automatically wipe all
detected hard disks such that data cannot be recovered. This might be
standard procedure for the auctioneers during testing (if not the
agencies themselves before de-asseting).

> I'll be even more surprised if it's of any interest or use whatsoever.
> Most government PCs are used by people who know very little about
> computers doing very, very boring things. Prepare to be stunned by the
> dull and predictable nature of whatever you find.

Depends on the agency...

Dave