[clug] Samba help

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Wed Mar 28 01:15:09 GMT 2007

Greetings all,

Can someone help me a little with samba? I have a samba server
configured for a local network, which needs to serve a share for a
network of 100 or so Windows pcs.

Although there is an active directory server I don't want to use
authentication for this server, I want everyone to be able to connect as
a guest with read only permissions.

However, I want ONE particular user on the network to be able to write
to the share.

If I have the security options off or manually set to 'user' then this
person can connect and write to the share perfectly. However, all other
users are prompted with a username and password. Makes sense.

So I set security to 'share' which enables all users to connect without
a password, however now the user I want to be able to write to the share
can't.

My guess is that samba just forgets about auth and connects everyone as
guest (?) but I want this user to be authenticated and allowed to write
to the share.

So perhaps I want something like: first try to authenticate the user, if
not, then connect with guest. This way he should be authenticated and
the share gives him write access, but all others are not authenticated
and therefore connect as guest, for which the share denies write access.

I hope that makes sense.. can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Box is running Etch. I've been fiddling with the smb.conf but here it is
in its latest state:

;start
[global]
   workgroup = mshome.local