[clug] What can't be distributed with Linux?

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 03:51:28 GMT 2007

On 3/22/07, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Once you have written this license definition language XML, which
> license are you going to distribute it under?
>
> Bob Edwards.

Bob,

interesting question :)

Seriously though, we could define (or ask license writers to define)
license characteristics in one of the topic map languages. I am not
sure a strict hierarchical taxonomy would work because there are
multiple clauses.

"You can't use my code for commercial purposes" is easy... "you can't
use my code for commercial purposes unless you are a not-for-profit
organisation or indivisual" vs. "you can't use my code for commercial
purposes unless you send me a postcard" or "you can't use my code for
commercial purposes unless you republish it" is a bit trickier to
define (unless this is the only hierarchy, and I am sure it isn't).

It would make life easier for people dragging bits of other people's
code/content/general IP together.

Cheers, Andrew