[clug] Recording clug talks

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 02:02:50 GMT 2007

On 3/22/07, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> On 22/03/2007, at 09:43 , Robert Edwards wrote:
>
> > Other than that, a laptop with a lapel mic attached would do the job,
> > to some extent and could encode directly into OGG (presumably vorbis?)
>
> Most video cameras do a decent enough job to capture questions from
> the audience (crappy quality, but still audible), especially since
> the back of the podium is a solid, painted wall.

Would it be easiest to just write the questions down and overlay them
as text later on?

> If you want to record stuff that's happening on-screen, you really
> need a screen capture device - a video camera does not have the
> resolution required to capture anything interesting.

Elphel 333 - open source and 3MP at 15fps or 720p at 24fps.
www.elphel.com
(no auto focus (should be ok for presentations) or mic, but by outputs
video in ogg theora over 10/100 ethernet).

> The only catch is that a video camera will typically have a 90 minute
> tape, so someone will have to cue the presenter to pause (and for all
> discussion to cease!) for the 15 seconds it takes to change tapes and
> battery, if the whole meeting is to be captured without losing
> portions. Alternately the camera operator will need to take advantage
> of breaks in presentations to change tapes ahead of time.

Wouldn't be an issue with the Elphel 333 - I might have to get one.

> If someone's interested in being cameraman, I can arrange to get my
> camcorder + videomic + tripod + tapes and batteries to Bob on meeting
> days and pick it up the day after, making the edited video and sound
> recordings available sometime on Saturday. Just the videomic itself
> should be an excellent means to capture sound, if you have a
> recording device with microphone input - the videomic is a powered
> mic and provides very strong signals to the recording equipment.

I'm happy to help out, but no experience as a camera operator.

> I can't offer to host this stuff. IIRC, a 2 hour presentation can be
> compressed down to really grainy video (just capturing the
> presenter's antics with little detail) with high quality sound in
> about 80MB.

Would Bit Torrent be an option?

Ben