[clug] Re: Calculating the actual date and time]

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 15 22:43:49 GMT 2007

Kim Holburn wrote:

> Yeah it was Eastern Standard Time (EST) versus Eastern Summer Time (EST)
> versus Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) ...  The list goes on and
> is ridiculous.  The US uses EST as well for one of it's timezones.
> +1100 is so much clearer.  If there had been a usable world standard it
> might have got used.

+1100 is only clearer for a single current event (like an e-mail).

For determining how a machine in a particular timezone should manage
time offsets longer term, you need more than the "current" offset.

Eg. if I create a calendar event for next month (after AEDT reverts
to AEST) I want the offset from UTC to be correct _then_ (as well as
now). +1100 wouldn't cut it for me.

Hows life in Italy (UTC +0100)?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.