[clug] MtM - content update

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Thu Mar 15 12:28:23 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 16:09 +1100, Nathan O'Sullivan wrote:
[snip]

> I fully realise I am about to argue the opposite point :) but I
> personally would not like to try recommending one of Ubuntu/Fedora/Suse
> on a website -  because how many of us have actually used all 3
> full-time, for a few months to gain familiarity with all 3? And even if
> you have, would you really be able to definitively say one is best for a
> new user?
Yep, I've used all 3 for various amounts of time. Admittedly I only used
Mandriva when it was still called Mandrake and it was probably the year
2000 ;) (though I did try their livecd with aiglx). I installed Suse
10.1 for a month or so to play with it. And I've had Ubuntu installed
for the last month too. I installed Fedora to take screenshots for MTM
and promptly removed it ;)

> As had been said elsewhere, if it were for someone I knew (and would
> personally assist) you would of course go with the distribution you know
> best. For a larger pool of readers, I'm not so sure.
>
> So after counterpointing myself, I will say this: I think Debian and
> Gentoo should be left out.
Ok cool, thanks :) I think I agree with that.

Thanks again for putting up with my barrage of replies and for your
thoughts.

Chris