[clug] MtM - content update

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Mar 15 05:56:23 GMT 2007

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:31:55 +1100
From: Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org>

On Thursday 15 March 2007 16:10, linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> On Thursday 15 March 2007 15:15, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> > Ubuntu (and Knoppix, I guess) is known to me, I have tried it, and
(snip...)

> > I like "live CDs". They're safe in the hands of the unsuspecting.
> Yeah, the site does strongly promote checking it out with a Live CD.
>
> > I dislike installers, especially CDs that boot and reinstall an
> > operating system automatically without any interaction ("where did my
> > last 6 years of work just disappear to?"). Been there, done that.
> That's the same if you're using an installer OS or a livecd with an
installer
> anyway. Gotta install it sometime.
>
> > Agreed, but at the very least make a distinction between "Live CD"
> > distributions versus "Installers".
> Ok, yeah I can do that, though the only "Live CD only" distro is Knoppix.

The last bit of info is no longer accurate, strictly speaking.  Now Knoppix,
too, can be installed!  Even an old codger like I can do that with a little
bit of luck.  I did it once, without great disasters.

IMHO it is enough to mention that a particular distro is distributed as live,
installable CD.

OldAl.
--
Algis Kabaila (Dr)