[clug] MtM - content update

Sunnz sunnzy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 04:34:01 GMT 2007

2007/3/15, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org>:
> True, I didn't want to scare them however ;) Currently I do say:
> "It is important to note that due to the nature of open source software (the
> ability to customise it however you like) there are many different versions
> of Linux. This is great because you can find a version that suits you best!
> These different versions of Linux are called 'distributions'. This is because
> the creators of the various versions take Linux and make their own changes to
> it, add their own packages and then distribute it for free. It might sound
> complicated, but it's not. So don't worry, we'll help you get started on the
> right track!"
> and

That's very well put, however,

"the creators of the various versions take Linux and make their own
changes to it, add their own packages and then distribute it for
free."

Can be quite ambiguous to new users to Windows switchers to Linux. By
"changes" they might think it is just different themes or have buttons
in different places, when in fact the change can be quite huge!!!

For this reason I think it would be good to provide 2 examples of
changes or difference between 2 distros, maybe something very very
small and something really big like a different DE or no DEs at all,
just so they have a rough idea what 'changes' you are talking about.

It may be a little scary to Windows users, but I think it is
beneficial to tell them a little example, that would be far better
than they to find out that they don't like GNOME and decide that Linux
has an inferior interface.