[clug] MtM - content update

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan.osullivan at mammothmedia.com.au
Thu Mar 15 03:51:41 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 14:41 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Thursday 15 March 2007 13:55, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> > At this point in time, the only distribution I'd recommend to someone
> > who wanted to "try out this Linux thing" is Ubuntu. Hand them a CD,
> > and spend an hour with them as they boot up their computer and take
> > those first terrifying steps away from the comfortable rut that is
> > Microsoft Windows. Welcome to a brave new world where you don't have
> > Them telling you what you can do with your computer!
> Hey Alex, thanks for your comments.
> I don't think it is wise to single out a single distribution for people to
> try. Why not Fedora? Why not Suse? Why not Mandriva? Why only Ubuntu? One of
> the great things about Linux is the variety, and all of these ditros work
> very differently, so I think we should offer them all the the end user to see
> which one they prefer. I'm toying with the idea of putting Debian and Gentoo
> in, as Debian is the largest linux distro and Gentoo would appeal to a
> particular audience and I think they should be aware of its existence.

I think the list should be Fedora, OpenSuse, Ubuntu. All 3 have large
newbie-friendly communities and are backed by large companies.  If a new
user cannot find something they like in those 3 then surely Linux is not
for them.

Of course I am kind of assuming this site is targetted at Desktop
users.

Regards
Nahtan