[clug] June CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Thu Jun 14 07:57:18 GMT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:17:21AM +1000, Paul Wayper wrote:

> Mike Carden wrote:
>>> Speaker:        Paul Wayper

>>> Abstract:
>>>                 Source Control using Subversion.
>>
>> And if you *really* want to stimulate some discussion, people should
>> view the video of Linus lecturing at Google about how bad SVN is:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/v/4XpnKHJAok8
>>
>> Without venturing an opinion either way on Linus' firm views, I will
>> say that the video makes for entertaining viewing.

> This is indeed true.  I can see I'm going to have to learn a bit more about
> git, even if it's to see what I and/or Linus is missing.  For now, though,
> you'll have to put up with me corrupting your minds and speaking on what I
> know.  Until I learn how to use git, Subversion will be simpler for me... :-)

Damn, why is it either PSIG or CLUG that falls on milestone weeks?

Oh, wait, I know exactly why. But that's not really relevant.

Since we use Subversion at work, but I've started using git-svn last
week (after seeing Linus' talk, and reading the git-svn quickstart for
svn users [1] as well as having been tracking upstream xrandr1.2 code
for Xorg's ati driver) at least for the server-side work, since git on
Windows sucks, and some elements of our environment mean that it's not
that good for what we do on Windows anyway (yet).

Maybe I can give a talk on those at PSIG next week... (Both git for
people who like bleeding-edge Xorg, and git-svn for the quiet
revolutionaries) although, I dunno how long I can stretch that out to.
And of course, a pushable SVN repo will be needed... I hope Paul's test
one is still around next month. ^_^

BTW, I'm a little alarmed that Python SIG hijacked the PSIG monicker...
Or was it PSIG first, and I've just never noticed?

[1] http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/