[clug] Anyone heard of this Linux device??

rodryan rodryan at pcug.org.au
Thu Jul 26 05:01:06 GMT 2007

Robert Edwards wrote:
> Steven Hanley wrote:

>>> He what? Bob, you been holding out on us? Where was the email for
>>> the group buy?
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Seriously, I think there may be several of us keen to see / hear about
>>> these inexpensive beasties on Thursday evening.
>>
>> You will possibly need to hope Andi turns up as Bob has needed a fair
>> bit of
>> german tranlation effort to get these going well.
>>
>>     See You
>>         Steve
>>

> I brought one along to CLUG two months ago and showed a whole lot
> of people what was inside etc. I have two, but only one in my
> possession at the moment. I haven't (yet) paid for either (you out
> there Andi?).
>
> They are T-Online S100 boxes, sold in Germany as Cable TV STBs.
> They have 733MHz Celeron (same as a first gen X-Box), 802.11b/g,
> 100M ethernet, two USB ports (USB 1.1, I think) and come with
> WinCE on a 32MB solid state IDE drive. You can put in a normal
> drive, but then there would be a moving part (-> noise). They
> have PAL and audio out as well as a pair of SCART connectors
> and there is a spare PCI slot (same as a MiniITX mobo).
>
> You can download a slackware-based MythTV front-end for it and
> others run them as standard Myth boxes. I was hoping it would
> net-boot (using DHCP/TFTP) - the BIOS says it can, but it doesn't.
> I need help translating some of the German web pages about it to
> see if there is a BIOS upgrade that allows netbooting.
>
> There was one at Michael and Stewart's excellent MythTV stall at
> LCA07 in Sydney this year (that is where I first saw it).
>
> I'll bring it along to CLUG again tonight.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.
I guess you have found this site!!!
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/justin.hornsby2/s100/images/s100.JPG&imgrefurl=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/justin.hornsby2/s100/index.html&h=98&w=200&sz=5&hl=en&start=16&um=1&tbnid=xoPGGfB42rkpWM:&tbnh=51&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DT-Online%2BS100%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26sa%3DN
sorry about the length.
Rod Ryan