[clug] Anyone heard of this Linux device??

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 26 02:11:23 GMT 2007

Steven Hanley wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 03:12:52PM +1000, Mike Carden wrote:
>> On 7/25/07, Michael.James at csiro.au <Michael.James at csiro.au> wrote:
>>
>>> An AppleTV costs $450 when Bob Edwards has been picking up
>>> almost the same hardware (minus MacOSX and the HD)
>>> for $60 on German Ebay.
>> He what? Bob, you been holding out on us? Where was the email for the group
>> buy?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Seriously, I think there may be several of us keen to see / hear about
>> these inexpensive beasties on Thursday evening.
>
> You will possibly need to hope Andi turns up as Bob has needed a fair bit of
> german tranlation effort to get these going well.
>
> 	See You
> 	    Steve

I brought one along to CLUG two months ago and showed a whole lot
of people what was inside etc. I have two, but only one in my
possession at the moment. I haven't (yet) paid for either (you out
there Andi?).

They are T-Online S100 boxes, sold in Germany as Cable TV STBs.
They have 733MHz Celeron (same as a first gen X-Box), 802.11b/g,
100M ethernet, two USB ports (USB 1.1, I think) and come with
WinCE on a 32MB solid state IDE drive. You can put in a normal
drive, but then there would be a moving part (-> noise). They
have PAL and audio out as well as a pair of SCART connectors
and there is a spare PCI slot (same as a MiniITX mobo).

You can download a slackware-based MythTV front-end for it and
others run them as standard Myth boxes. I was hoping it would
net-boot (using DHCP/TFTP) - the BIOS says it can, but it doesn't.
I need help translating some of the German web pages about it to
see if there is a BIOS upgrade that allows netbooting.

There was one at Michael and Stewart's excellent MythTV stall at
LCA07 in Sydney this year (that is where I first saw it).

I'll bring it along to CLUG again tonight.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.