[clug] Light at the end of the Tax Return tunnel

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Tue Jul 24 10:16:15 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 05:59:34PM +1000, Francis Whittle wrote:
> I managed to get it through this year, everything worked okay.
> On a Debian AMD64 box even - and I'd only installed wine 1/2 an hour
> before hand.  And IE6 refused to install, so no IE! :D (There's a thing
> called "Wine Gecko" and another "Mozilla ActiveX Control" that you
> probably need for this).
> It lodged, even sent the lodgement number back....

Excellent news. Congrats on your patience.

> Looked HORRIBLE though (I couldn't see anything on the navigator pane
> half the time, for example).
>
> But really, nothing there that couldn't be done with some pretty simple
> HTML forms, and it would be a good idea to have SSL certificates (In
> fact, everyone could be issued a personal certificate which would remove
> the need for those unmemorable 24-bit hex keys, I mean, passwords.  I
> guess a 1024-bit key is just as unmemorable, but it's installed on your
> computer, eh?)  You could even throw some AJAX in to make it pretty.

Which year was going to be the year that PKI took off?

Last I looked, the ATO are already buried under the adminstrative morass
that seems to be Gatekeeper.

As someone mentioned, the ABS census form was a dream to use.
Simple interface. I tested the beta forms and they even worked under lynx.

Regards

--
Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/
0xA72CE1ED fingerprint = EA1E C69E FE59 BBE1 AA4B  F354 BD09 9765 A72C E1ED