[clug] July Canberra Linux Users Group meeting

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Mon Jul 23 22:00:01 GMT 2007

	Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - 26th July 2007

Date:		26th July 2007 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

Time:		19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Speaker:	Kelly Daly, Chris Yeoh and Pascal Klein

Abstract:
		Tonight we try a new format - split talks!

		After a brief introduction and a couple of lightning
		'what's new in Open Source' segments, we'll split up
		into two groups.

		-----

		The technical talk for the night will be given by Kelly
		Daly and Chris Yeoh about hacking on Second Life.

		They'll be talking about the things that IBM did in
		order to integrate the Rod Laver Arena into Second Life,
		and the processes of data interchange between Second
		Life and the real world. They'll also be talking about
		scripting in Second Life from various perspectives and
		the development of the open source clients for Second
		Life.

		Second Life (http://www.secondlife.com), released by
		Linden Labs, is a complete 3D virtual world built and
		owned by its residents.

		-----

		The less technical talk for the night will be given by
		Pascal Klein on the basics of hitting the road with
		Inkscape. His previous talks have focused more on what
		Inkscape is and what has been done with it as apposed to
		how to begin using this great piece of free software. In
		this talk Pascal will look at using Inkscape to begin
		producing something suggested from the floor, whilst
		explaining the process and techniques used.

		What is Inkscape? Inkscape is a vector graphics
		illustrator, perfect for creating mockups, website
		designs, buttons and other small graphics, desktop
		artwork, icons, beautify-ing diagrams and even for user
		interface designs. Inkscape is free software -- it is
		licensed under the GPL and is fully SVG, CSS and XML
		compliant.

		-----

		We will then meet back in the main meeting room for
		pizza and sushi.

Venue:		Room N101
		Computer Science and Information Technology Building
		North Road
		The Australian National University

		See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

Food/drink:	Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
		about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
		want some.

If you would like to give a talk at a future meeting, please email me.