[clug] Pseudo terminals

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed Jul 18 10:33:19 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 17:58, Adrian Blake wrote:
> Within  a Fortran program I can open up a terminal with a system command
> like:   call system("xterm -T new &" , result)
>
> This creates a device   /dev/pty/x   x is some number
>
> I then  would like to be able to direct output to that device:  OPEN
> (UNIT=15, FILE="/dev/pts/x", STATUS="OLD", ACCESS="STREAM") , but how can I
> determine the value of x?
>
> I could do : ps -ax | grep pty/     and then pick the greatest numbered
> pty.  Clumsy under program control.
>
> Any suggestions?
I haven't tried this, so this is a bit of a stretch, but how about creating
the pty yourself, and then passing the pty number to xterm (using -S)

I'm not sure how you would create the pty in FORTRAN (I think it has to be
upper case :-). There is a bit of information in pty(7) about how
posix_openpt() works, or maybe you could just create a helper application in
C and call that from your FORTRAN app.

Brad