[clug] Cheap Linux based routers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bernard Duggan bernard at guarana.org
Wed Jul 18 07:50:30 GMT 2007

Paul Wayper wrote:
> [snip]
> Apropos of the processor speed question, I find myself wondering whether
> my bandwidth is being limited by the processing speed of the WRAP board
> struggling under the number of firewall rules and QoS queues that
> pfSense seems to want to set up.  I'm about 3KM from the exchange, near
> Mt Painter in Cook, and I only get about 7Mbit/sec on average over
> ADSL2.  Anyone nearby or a similar distance from their exchange that can
> check whether this sounds reasonable?  There doesn't seem to be a hard
> lock on maximum speed even when sucking files down from my ISP
> (Internode), which is what makes me think it may be the board's
> processing capacity.

7MBit/sec at 3km is around the expected speed on ADSL2.  This graph is a
handy reference:

http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/

It's also dependent on line quality, actual cable length, phase of the
moon, etc.  But the short answer is, my guess is you're not being
limited by your processor speed.  You should be able to verify on your
ADSL modem though - the sync speed should be independent of any firewall
processing power.

Cheers,

Bernard