[clug] Cheap Linux based routers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 18 07:28:39 GMT 2007

Rousak, Boris wrote:
> As a by-the-by Has anyone tried to install an MTA (postfix, sendmail,
> whatever) + spmassasin onto such a router after a linux flash? Or is
> there not enough room/memory to do firewalling and act as a mail gateway
> at the same time?

I always thought that the whole point of a firewall was to keep the
number of services running on it to an absolute minimum so that there
was less chance of a vulnerability in the software on the firewall being
exposed.

Apropos of the processor speed question, I find myself wondering whether
my bandwidth is being limited by the processing speed of the WRAP board
struggling under the number of firewall rules and QoS queues that
pfSense seems to want to set up.  I'm about 3KM from the exchange, near
Mt Painter in Cook, and I only get about 7Mbit/sec on average over
ADSL2.  Anyone nearby or a similar distance from their exchange that can
check whether this sounds reasonable?  There doesn't seem to be a hard
lock on maximum speed even when sucking files down from my ISP
(Internode), which is what makes me think it may be the board's
processing capacity.

Have fun,

Paul