[clug] Cheap Linux based routers

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 18 00:48:51 GMT 2007

Neill Cox wrote:
> Does anyone on the list have some suggestions?  Requirements:
>
>  - Two ethernet nics
>  - Linux 2.4/2.6 (2.6 preferred)
>  - Shell access via ethernet (bash for preference)
>  - Iptables
>  - OpenVPN

Check out the devices Yawarra sells (http://www.yawarra.com.au).  I use
a WRAP1-1 for my firewall now (two ethernet ports, two mini-PCI cards)
with a 128MB CF card - that'll set you back $315 plus postage.  They
also have a variety of good wifi boards and a VPN accelerator mini-PCI
card; other places such as www.ete.com.au have mini-PCI cards that do
ethernet, Firewire, USB, and even video capture.

I'm sure that you can run shorewall on them, it'd be just a matter of
configuring it so that it writes either to a ram disk or to a network
syslogger rather than write to the flash drive.

HTH,