[clug] Cheap Linux based routers

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Jul 18 00:45:44 GMT 2007

On 18/07/2007, at 09:28 , scudette at gmail.com wrote:

> Once a vendor has good market pentration they tend to lower the amount
> of ram and flash and start using vxworks which has a lower footprint
> then linux but is generally very inadequate - so you need to pay
> attention to the version numbers on the hardware.

Order the Linksys WRT54GL (the "L" on the end is the important bit).
This is basically a re-release of the Version 2(or 4?) hardware which
is the "best" version of this hardware for running OpenWRT (or any of
the other Linux "distros" that run on this box). It has 5 ethernet
ports (on a built-in 100Mbps Ethernet switch), which can be
configured as 1 LAN or 5 separate LANs.

The BR6104K appears to be similar in capability (it's based on the
ARM/Broadcom chipset just like the WRT54G) - with the advantage of
being half the price.

And I prefer to use FireHOL for my firewall building. Generate the
script on your desktop PC, then load the output (a shell script that
creates a complex iptables firewall) onto the router.

Alex