[clug] Cheap Linux based routers

scudette at gmail.com scudette at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:28:10 GMT 2007

Neil,
  Router based firewalls fall into 2 groups - the first has a little
more memory and grunt and usually already run linux - these can normally
be reflashed with openwrt for example netgear wgt634u (the ones I use)
or Linksys WRT54G (up to version 3 i think). Check the openwrt
compatibility page.

Once a vendor has good market pentration they tend to lower the amount
of ram and flash and start using vxworks which has a lower footprint
then linux but is generally very inadequate - so you need to pay
attention to the version numbers on the hardware.

I have also used gumstix before which is good but you have to use the
same nic for both sides of the fw - not as ideal. (Because it only has 1
nic).

If you want to do ipsec you will need a little bit of grunt (most
routers have a 200mhz-400mhz arm or mips).

Michael.