[clug] Re: Light at the end of the Tax Return tunnel

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Tue Jul 17 01:54:37 GMT 2007

The ATO page also points out one of the major limitations of the current
etax - its help files are in the proprietary M$ format.  This is a serious
limitation for users of other OS because, to be eligible for the
Commissioner's Guarantee, you have to have read the relevant guidelines in
the help files.

I've never actually submitted a return via etax.  Did work through completion
of the fields OK under Wine a few years ago but, without ready access to a
Windoze installation, could not read the help files.

I did participate in the 1997 pilot.  Was able to complete my return at home
on the Win 3x component of OS2 Warp 4 and submit it via NT from work.

The only way we are likely to get a useful outcome from the 2008 trial is to
be proactive.  A submission from a nationally representative body, eg Linux
Australia, would probably hold more weight.

Rod