[clug] HDD recovery

Steve Walsh Steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Jul 16 05:04:02 GMT 2007

Karun Dambiec wrote:
> I would recommend getting a professional data recovery company to do it, as its not worth the risk of sticking them in the freezer.
> ---
> Karun Dambiec BCompSci LaTrobe
> Email: kdambiec at ieee.org

Oddly enough, this was what both Fujitsu and Seagate requested I do
before returning faulty drives to them for replacement. I got about
4-500 bad drives in total across both providers, and this allowed about
a 85-90% recovery rate for data before return and replacement.

After switching away to IBM and Samsung, I get maybe a 1% failure rate,
but even then, sticking them in the Freezer overnight means I can get
them up long enough to recovery the critically important stuff, like
Internet favorites and files saved to the desktop as opposed to the
network share.

I'm not saying it's going to work for everyone, but if it's making a
nasty clicking and grinding noise, your data is probably already toast.