[clug] Ethernet problem: NIC Link goes down regularly on ThinkPad X60s

Boyd Wilding boydwilding at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:14:59 GMT 2007

I'm not trying to take the piss here, so please don't hurt me.

In all seriousness, try this:

Install windows and do some testing, eg stitch the port at 100mb full duplex
and see what happens. Also under windows, try to set to Autonegotiate and
see what happens (AFAIK I don't believe you can stitch it/lock it hard to
gigabit).
This will tell you in short order where the problem lies - OS/driver, or
hardware.

Then again it might just be a link negotiation problem, but try it and see.

Heck, if you are dualbooting at the moment, even better, less hassle for
you...windows is already there for you to experiment with and more quickly
enable you to determine the root cause by quickly seeing where the
consistency of the problem lies.

Another possibility is to quickly borrow a HDD from the same model X60 at
the next CLUG meeting, that has windows on it already...if they are willing
to play around and if there is a network available to test with in the
meeting room where CLUG is. Laptop HDDs in thinkpads are fairly easy to swap
as long as you know how to operate a phillips screwdriver.

Failing that I have a T60 with a 60gb SATA disk with windows and suse on it
that might be free during the next CLUG meeting.

PS BIOS upgrades are done easy enough, punch in your machine/model type into
the IBM/Lenovo website and you should be able to find either windows based
packages or extractable DOS diskette versions of BIOS updates...which would
require a USB floppy drive to update, obviously, but those are the only 2
options they provide, I believe.

Hope this helps.